World Plumbing Day | Global Health, Water, Energy, and Environment
It’s not often that there is an international holiday dedicated to our profession. However, we’re looking forward to March 11, otherwise known as World Plumbing Day. On worldplumbingday.org, you can find out more information on the vital role that plumbing plays around the globe.
If you think about it, how can humans truly live a healthy life without plumbing? Here in the States we are very lucky to have functioning plumbing in our homes and businesses. Other parts of the world do not have the same plumbing system that we often take for granted. Imagine if you did not have access to clean water or effective sanitation.
This March 11, let’s be thankful for the proper plumbing system in our own homes, and give a shout-out to your local plumbers for working every day to avert emergencies and ensure health and safety for us all.
Things to Contemplate on World Plumbing Day
According to the World Health Organization, these shocking numbers show us the reality of the lack of clean water access across our globe. What we take for granted is a daily struggle for billions, as well as the millions of children who find that the lack of access to clean water can be fatal. In fact, every 15 seconds, a child dies from a water-related disease. In 2017, this seems unimaginable.
- 1.1 billion people do not have access to safe water supplies
- 2.6 billion people do not have access to improved sanitation
- 3.1 million children die each year from water-related diseases
For more startling statistics on clean water access and WASH (the Global Water, Sanitation & Hygiene program), visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
As a society it is important to be dedicated to preserving our most important resource for life: water. By using water more efficiently, we are contributing to the health of all humanity, as well as future generations.
The plumbing industry has a huge role in learning about the newest technologies to use water in the healthiest and most efficient ways and share that with our customers. For example, low-flow fixtures and duel-flush cisterns are two ways homeowners and plumbers can work together to better conserve water.
Related activities & suggestions for saving water, energy & the environment:
- Using a broom instead of a garden hose to clean your driveway will save 13 gallons every minute you clean.
- Putting food coloring in your toilet tank. If it seeps into the bowl, without flushing, you have a leak. Fixing it can save 1,000 gallons a month!
- Use a hose nozzle while you wash your car. You will save up to 100 gallons every time!
- Reduce your greenhouse gas emissions by installing a solar hot water heater.
- Turning your air conditioning or heating up or down just a few degrees can save considerable energy.
- Prevent heat loss by insulating your water heater and pipes.
World Plumbing Day highlights that clean water is indeed, and unfortunately, a luxury. Installation and maintenance of your plumbing system is necessary to ensure the health of your family. A lack of access to proper plumbing is for many a daily struggle for sanitation and even survival. Be mindful on March 11 every time you turn on the faucet, fill up a glass with drinkable water, or flush the toilet.
In our daily lives, we can do small things that make a big impact. The World Plumbing Council offers more extensive information on how to make small lifestyle changes that could impact the lives of billions. International organizations and the plumbing community at large continue the important work of fighting for access to clean water and health for all. As worldplumbingday.org states, “PLUMBING IS VITAL TO GLOBAL HEALTH.”
A short film about the World Plumbing Council:
If you need any plumbing services, reach out to Penguin Air & Plumbing. We provide 24/7 comprehensive plumbing services throughout Phoenix, AZ. Or, if you’re looking for further information on how to reduce your carbon footprint and conserve water, our team of professionals is here to help.
- Water Quality Tips
- Conserving Water at Home
- How to Prevent Plumbing Disasters
- Get Your Phoenix Plumbing in Top-Shape
- Avoid Plumbing Problems with Penguin Air & Plumbing
- Don’t Let Emergency Plumbing Issues Ruin the Holidays
Penguin Air & Plumbing is available 24/7, 365 for all plumbing emergencies AT NO EXTRA COST, and we will get there fast!