Every Phoenix and Tucson homeowner deals with drain clogs from time to time. While clogged drains can be messy and frustrating, they’re often easy to fix—and easy to avoid.
4 DIY Tips for Unclogging Drains
When your drains get the occasional clog, here are some things you can try to do to remove the blockage and help wastewater, once again, flow freely through your drains:
- Use a wire hanger to pull out the clog: Ready to go fishing? Straighten out a wire hanger to the best of your ability and form a small hook at the end. Insert the hanger into your drain, and try to pull out the debris that’s causing the blockage (if you can reach it).
- Pour a baking soda and vinegar solution down the drain: Mix equal parts baking soda and vinegar in a container. Pour the fizzing mixture down your drains, and let it sit for a few hours or overnight (long enough to try to dissolve the blockage). Then, pour hot water down the drain and check if drainage has improved.
- Use a wet vac: If you own a wet-dry shop vacuum, it can be a helpful tool for clearing drains. First, set the vacuum liquid mode. Then, cover the vent and create a tight seal over the drain. This method may not always be effective, but it’s worth a try when stubborn blockages won’t budge after you’ve tried the previous two steps.
- Snake the drain: Drain snakes, which are sold at many hardware stores, are long, flexible metal tubes that can easily travel through your drains. The spiraled metal tip can be incredibly helpful in removing unwanted clogs.
Do NOT use abrasive chemicals to try to clear drain clogs. These solutions can cause serious damage, and the quick “fix” they may offer is never worth the havoc they can wreak on your pipes, drains, and plumbing fixtures.
How to Prevent Clogged Drains: 5 Tips
While DIY removal tactics can restore drainage, there’s plenty you can do to prevent unwanted blockages in the first place:
- Keep your kitchen drains free from food, coffee grounds, grease, and other particles.
- Don’t grind up leftovers in your garbage disposal.
- Cover your shower drain with a mesh screen or hair catcher to prevent hair and soap scum from going down the drain.
- Brush your hair thoroughly before taking a shower to remove loose hair from your scalp before washing.
- Don’t flush any materials besides toilet paper and human waste down the toilet.
By taking simple steps, you minimize the risk of drain clogs and the more serious plumbing problems that clogged drains can cause.
3 Signs You Need Professional Drain Service at Your Phoenix or Tucson Home
DIY tips and preventive maintenance can go a long way to keeping your drains working properly. Sometimes, however, drain clogs demand the attention of a professional plumber.
If you notice any of these warning signs of more serious drain problems, contact an expert plumber at Penguin Air, Plumbing & Electrical ASAP:
- Multiple clogs: When several drains in your home are simultaneously clogged, you could have sewer line problems instead of a simple drain clog. Anything from tree root intrusion to sewer line cracks and collapses can cause multiple drain clogs, and the drains on the lowest level of your home will likely experience problems first.
- Odd behaviors from your plumbing fixtures: When sewer line problems slow or stop drainage, they usually also cause plumbing fixtures to behave oddly. For example, flushing a toilet or turning on a faucet can cause backups in tubs, showers, or sinks.
- Foul odors from your drains: If your drains are giving off nasty odors no matter how often you clean them, there’s likely wastewater trapped in your drain system, and you’ll need an expert plumber to help you figure out exactly where and why.
If any of these scenarios sound all too familiar, it’s time to contact Penguin Air.
Schedule Drain Inspection, Clearing & Cleaning Services in Phoenix or Tucson, AZ
Penguin Air provides first-rate drain services throughout Phoenix, Tucson, and the surrounding areas. Whether your drains have slowed down or you’re dealing with backups and other plumbing disasters, we’re ready to help! We’ll use state-of-the-art drain cameras, along with other equipment and our expertise, to diagnose and fix the problem ASAP!
Call (480) 747-6800 or contact Penguin Air online for drain service in Phoenix, Tucson, and surrounding areas!