Ductless air conditioners, or mini-splits, have gained popularity in recent decades. This is an efficient method for heating and cooling homes where traditional HVAC systems aren’t feasible, including add-ons and older homes without ductwork. Ductless ACs feature indoor and outdoor units, just like a heat pump. The difference is that warmed or cooled air exits directly from the indoor unit thanks to a built-in air handler. Multiple indoor units can attach to a single outdoor unit for zoned heating and cooling wherever you need it.
Looking for ductless AC installation, replacement, repair, or maintenance in Phoenix? The experienced technicians at Penguin Air, Plumbing & Electrical can meet your needs! Our qualified team offers same-day service, upfront pricing, and flexible financing options to suit your budget.
To schedule ductless AC service in Phoenix, AZ, please contact us at (480) 747-6800 today.
Ductless AC Installation & Replacement
A ductless air conditioner might be the perfect option for cooling your home without being tied down by traditional ductwork. Arizona homeowners love ductless air conditioning options for many reasons:
- Flexibility: One outdoor unit can support multiple indoor air handlers with their own thermostats. Operate each one independently for maximum energy savings and comfort.
- Ease of installation: Without the need to install ductwork, ductless ACs are faster, easier, and cheaper to install than traditional HVAC equipment that requires new ducts. At the same time, mini-splits don’t block windows the way window AC units do, freeing up the view and allowing for more ventilation options.
- Energy efficiency: By losing the inherent inefficiencies of leaky ductwork, ductless units can operate much more efficiently than comparable air conditioners.
The ductless AC replacement services from Penguin Air will leave you feeling more comfortable in no time! Give us a call to schedule an appointment today.
Ductless Mini Split Air Conditioning Repair
When your ductless unit isn’t doing its job, you need a qualified repair technician to fix it. Some common reasons you might need ductless AC repair in Phoenix include:
- Inadequate heating or cooling
- Rising energy costs
- Leaky indoor unit
- Odd noises or smells
- Broken remote control or thermostat
Are you having problems with your ductless air conditioner? Penguin Air can deliver the repair you need! We even offer 24/7 emergency services, so you’re not left with a malfunctioning unit for long.
Ductless AC Maintenance
To get the most from your ductless mini-split, plan to maintain the unit twice a year—once in the spring before cooling season arrives and again in the fall in preparation for winter. Here’s a look at what’s involved during ductless AC maintenance:
- Clean or replace the filter
- Clean the evaporator coils and the condensing unit
- Clean the pipes
- Balance the fan wheel and blower assembly
- Inspect the condensate drain
These preventative measures help your ductless unit perform at peak, prolong its lifespan, help avoid costly repairs, and lower your operating costs. You can maximize these benefits with a ductless AC maintenance plan from Penguin Air. Your membership grants you access to a broad array of home maintenance services to keep every system humming smoothly for years to come.
I cant say enough about not only the quality of work but also the professionalism of the technicians. I have been a very loyal Penguin customer for the last couple of years precisely because of the integrity that they show. – Steve K.
Read More Reviews
Common Questions About Ductless AC Systems for Your Phoenix Area Home
How Does a Ductless HVAC System Work?
- The evaporator unit. The thin units are typically about 3 feet long and mounted on the wall in the room they are cooling. Their job is to suck in warm air and blow cold air back out.
- The conduit. This houses the power cable, refrigerant tubing, and a condensate drain, connecting the indoor unit to the outdoor unit.
- The condenser. This refers to the outside unit, which receives all of the heat from the house and transfers it to the outside.
This three-part system allows ductless AC units to cool individual rooms within a home without the ductwork required for central air conditioning.
How Efficient Are Ductless AC Systems?
Ductless AC systems offer more cooling capabilities than central air, while also proving to be impressively efficient. Many ductless systems have a great seasonal energy efficiency ratio (SEER), which means they’ll keep your home cool without wasting energy. Due to their targeted cooling capabilities, ductless AC is ideal for harder-to-cool areas like sunrooms or newly finished home additions. Since they only cool where you need it most, they give you a lot more control over the amount of energy you use.
Do I Need a Mini-Split in Every Room?
When it comes to how many indoor units needed for your ductless AC system, the general rule is one for every room you want to be cooled. Since these systems don’t use ductwork, they utilize multiple air handlers to push cold air directly to the room being served. Typically, you will only need one air handler per room, but the size of the air handler correlates directly with the size of the room. Larger rooms may call for a bigger air handler unit to effectively cool the entire area, while smaller rooms can utilize a smaller unit to maintain a comfortable temperature.
How Long Will a Ductless AC System Last?
Not only are ductless mini-splits an efficient choice for home cooling, they also have a service life well beyond a typical cooling system. While conventional cooling systems last about 12-15 years, you can count on your ductless AC system to last upwards of 20 years if adequately maintained.
What Kind of Maintenance Does a Ductless System Require?
While the maintenance required for your ductless AC system will vary depending on your manufacturer and model, there are several things that should be handled regardless of the system you choose to cool your home, including:
- Regular dust and debris removal: This will prevent damage to the internal components of your unit to make sure the exterior remains clean. Routinely wiping your unit down with a cloth or gentle cleanser will help dust and dirt from making its way inside.
- Cleaning the filter: You will need to either vacuum or clean your unit’s air filter with warm water and a mild detergent every month. This keeps your system operating at maximum efficiency, prolonging the service life of your ductless system.
- Make sure the airflow is unrestricted: While ductless mini-splits require less space than a traditional cooling system, you should still ensure a clearance of at least 4 feet to maintain an unrestricted flow.
- Inspect and clean the outdoor condensing unit. You should inspect the refrigerant lines and insulation wraps for general wear or leaks on your outdoor unit. If you’re unsure how to do this, you can always enlist the help of your local professionals!
What Size Ductless Mini-Split Do I Need?
Ductless heat pumps are measured in what’s known as British thermal units (BTU), which can be easily calculated if you know the size of the room you’re wanting to cool. Simply multiply the room’s length by its width to get your square footage. Next, multiply this square footage number by 25. The resulting number is output in BTU that you’ll need to effectively heat or cool your room, so knowing this number is a great way to decide on the size of your ductless system.
For instance, if you have a room of 100-200 square feet, you will need the BTU output of your ductless heat pump to be approximately 5,000. If you would like to cool a much larger room, say, 1,400 square feet, your BTU output would need to be upwards of 35,000.
If you’d like more info on ductless AC system or to speak with one of our technicians about installation for your home – give us a call at (480) 747-6800 or contact us online today! Our customer care experts are happy to address any of your questions!
Schedule Ductless Services in Phoenix, AZ
At Penguin Air, we always put our customers’ needs first. We would love to tell you more about ductless systems and help you decide if they are the right option for you. We install and service a range of HVAC systems, including traditional air conditioners and heaters, so no matter what route you take, we’re here to help!
To find out more about ductless AC units, or to schedule ductless services in Phoenix, please call us at (480) 747-6800 today.