What do you picture when you hear the words “power surge”? A lightning strike, downed power line, or massive gust of wind is probably what comes to mind. However, small surges are much more common, and they occur every time a high-energy appliance, such as the refrigerator or vacuum cleaner, turns on and off. The cumulative effect of these small power surges can damage your electrical system.
How do you keep your devices safe? The most common method is by plugging computers, game consoles, and TVs into a surge protector. This is helpful to some degree, but what about your large appliances, HVAC system, and the wiring itself? To safeguard these items, you need whole-home surge protection from Penguin Air, Plumbing & Electrical.
Please contact our electrician in Phoenix to find out more about protecting your home from power surges.
What is Whole-Home Surge Protection?
A whole-home surge protector is a device that mounts to your electric meter or panel and monitors incoming voltage. If a spike occurs, the device reduces the voltage to a safe level before allowing it to travel through your home’s wiring.
This technology protects every electrical component in your house, including outlets, light switches, phone and cable lines, and hardwired items that can’t plug into a surge protector. If you decide to take a whole-house approach to surge protection, don’t toss your point-of-use power strips just yet—a two-tiered approach is the best way to safeguard your entire electrical system.
Benefits of Whole-House Surge Protection
Here are the top reasons to invest in a whole-home surge protector:
- Prolong the life of your electronics: Large surges and power outages caused by lightning strikes can fry a device’s motor, circuit control board, or other components. Slow damage can also occur from small daily surges. By preventing power fluctuations from traveling through your electronics, you can add years to their lifespan.
- Lower the risk of electrical fires: Power surges can cause wires to overheat. In extreme cases, the sheathing can melt or the wires spark, potentially causing a fire and endangering the safety of your home and family.
- Avoid costly repairs: By safeguarding your wiring, outlets, and everything plugged into the wall, whole-house surge protection helps prevent the need for rewiring, fixing damaged outlets, or replacing fried appliances. Avoid the harmful effects of a single large power surge, and whole-house surge protection pays for itself!
Signs You Need Surge Protection
Most homes could benefit from a whole-house surge protector. Here are some signs that your electronic devices are at risk:
- Flickering lights: If the lamps dim or flicker slightly when a large appliance turns on or off, this tells you that the circuit is experiencing a surge. Take this warning sign seriously and act soon to prevent further damage from occurring to your electrical system.
- Tripping circuit breakers: Several issues can cause the circuit breaker to trip repeatedly, including uncontrolled power surges. Call an electrician to determine if whole-home surge protection can fix the problem.
- Damaged outlets: If you see indications of a charred or discolored outlet cover, dangerous overheating could be occurring behind the wall. You are at risk for an electrical fire, so call an electrician right away to perform a safety check.
Whole-Home Surge Protection in Phoenix, AZ
Don’t leave your sensitive electronics and appliances vulnerable to damaging power surges—install whole-house surge protection in your Phoenix home today! Penguin Air can provide the upgrade you’re looking for with your satisfaction guaranteed.
Contact us at (480) 747-6800 to request a quote from our Phoenix electrician today.